Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cannonball Read 3 - Review #2 - Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

I've said it before, but Lolita is one of my all-time favorite novels. I've heard people say that it's the kind of book English majors love, which, you've got me. I like it because Nabokov can really, REALLY write, and he also makes a disgusting pedophile and sociopath into a sad, almost sympathetic character. That is some skill. So I decided to try another of his novels, and I picked up Pale Fire. The premise interested me. It starts off with a 999 poem in four cantos by the fictional poet John Shade, shortly after his death. Then the rest of the book is a commentary written by his friend and neighbor, Dr. Charles Kinbote. I mean, you can't say the idea isn't original. Nabokov wrote a 999-line autobiographical poem of a fictional man, and then wrote another 230 pages or so of commentary from the perspective of a truly weird and creepy admirer. However, Kinbote, the man writing about the poem, is a weird duck. He spends most of the time commenting not on John Shade's poem about his life, but on three things: the story of the exiled King of Zembla, (the King of where? Exactly.), the story of the King's hired assassin, and then Kinbote's own perspective on his friendship with the poet John Shade. It's disjointed and weird, and although the book only clocks in at 301 pages, it took me a damn long time to get through. From the light research I did on its critical reception, I have gathered that it was met with mixed reviews. I certainly applaud Nabokov's creativity and effort, however it's a very strange and sometimes frustrating read. But the narrator is, in my opinion, most likely a lunatic, so perhaps that was Nabokov's plan after all. I'm going to read Nabokov's novel Ada at some point, so hopefully that will be more on the side of Lolita than Pale Fire.

3 comments:

  1. I love Lolita too, but I've never thought of exploring Nabakov's other book, except for maybe "The Original of Laura," but that was only because of the hype. I think part of the reason is because even though I love love love Lolita (for the same reasons as you), I tend to love books for themselves instead of for their authors.

    Anyway, this certainly sounds interesting. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://yossariansnon-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-i-think-about-when-i-think-about.html <this is a link to my older brother's CBR2 review for Lolita. I think maybe you'll really get a kick out of it. I've been looking for another reason to jump into Nabokov - thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that link, his review is great. I kind of saw the book as Nabokov's love story for the English language. The last paragraph of his review where he quotes those lines about Lolita's name...woof. I could read the opening page of Lolita a thousand times and not get over it.

    ReplyDelete